Oodles of Noodles and the Bucket List

Sunday, January 1, 2012

So I've been on a noodle kick. And it's actually so easy to make noodles. Like Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Noodles. Yum. With knock-off Ikea Swedish meatballs. Yummy Yum. For New Year's Eve dinner, I made homemade lasagna, bread, and Red Velvet Whoopie Pies. I was a bit disappointed with the Red Velvet recipe. I feel it was lacking in flavor. My regular Red Velvet recipe is Red Velvet IV , which makes a monster of a cake, just like at a diner, or for those without a healthy business-owning Greek population, The Cheesecake Factory. This thing never fails to impress. I don't use the icing, however, and prefer to use a more classic cream cheese frosting. Well the Whoopie pies didn't stack up against the flavor of my reg. cake. Also, I wasn't fond of how thick the "batter" is. It seems as though it should be slightly wetter. Any-hoo, there's still work to be done on that front. I also didn't use the filling for the Whoopie Pies, instead using a cream cheese/ butter/ 10X/ Marshmallow Fluff combo. This was highly successful, and wasn't cloyingly sweet. Definitely one to make again.

That brings me to my bucket list:
Things I'd Like To Can/Make in 2012

Lady Apples-They've been driving me mad, they're so cute and are begging to shine brightly in a glass jar filled with liquid. Need to get on this soon. Window is closing. But what in tarnation will I do with them?

Caramelized Onion Relish-Every time I see this, I'm like "Hells yeah!" It's in the bag, and not time sensitive, as onions are cheap and plentiful year-round.

Spiced Red Cabbage-This is something I actually eat quite frequently, especially, when I'm feeling Polish (which I'm not) with Pierogis.

Carrot Cake Jam- What a concept! Many moons ago, I made my niece carrot cake for her 5th birthday with crystallized carrot roses. It was a big hit. This jam just speaks to me. Pineapple, coconut, raisins, brown sugar and shredded carrots. Imagine it with cream cheese on a bagel!

Cocktail Cherries-Not sure about the how, but know it will def. be in July.

Grenadine-Haven't found the best recipe yet, but it will work out in the end.

Tomato Sauce-for sure this is the most ambitious project yet. Not 100% sure if it will happen, but a girl can dream. If I do it, I'm going big. There will be a case of maters in my sweaty, hot August kitchen.

Barbecue Sauce-Need to work on recipes first. They may or may not include smoked tomatoes...

Pickled Jalapenos-Quick and easy, a staple for a nacho-lover like me.

Salsa-See above. Need I say more.

Candied Ginger and Citrus Peels-For next Christmas' stollen?

Seckel Pears-If I can find them at a good price, they're mine. Mwahahaha.

Well, that's all I got for now. We won't put olives on the list this year, though I have lye just waiting for a use. (Pretzel rolls anyone?) Hopefully this list will give you ideas, too.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

365 Days of Pickles Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino