Sooooouper soup!

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My latest obsession is soup. No, I'm not canning it, but it is going in the freezer for lunch. Since I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a few years ago, the pounds have secretly been hanging on. People still consider me skinny, but as my clothing gets tighter and tighter, it's hard to ignore what I know is the truth: I eat whatever I feel like, I don't exercise and I'm getting older. My big joke is that I'll be an adult by 40, and as I linger in the twilight of my thirties, there's not much time left. So I figure having soup for lunch will be a healthful and economical way to refuel. So far I've made three-bean chili (1 can each light and dark kidney beans, 1 can black beans, some TJ's frozen roasted corn, 1 small can sliced black olives, 1 can roasted tomatoes with jalapenos, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 small can goya tomato sauce, some frozen onions and some garlic. Season with cayenne, chili powder, cumin and liquid smoke.) Yes, I know it's a lot of cans, but darned if I am not broke and tired and need to use up some stuff in the pantry. It made about 5 servings. Four got frozen flat in ziplocs and are ready to go. Today I made split pea soup with smoked turkey necks I had laying around in the freezer. One dollar spent and everything else I had at home. The turkey neck meat was a bit rubbery for my taste, so I decided to toss them, but they did add some great flavor. Next up will be roasted tomato and pepper soup. I plan on slow-roasting the fresh tomatoes in the oven and roasting the red peppers on the stovetop. We'll see how that goes :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

365 Days of Pickles Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino