The Canning Graveyard

Saturday, December 31, 2011

So 2011, it's been a year. I had to dispose of all canned items that were more than a year old, so that meant EVERYTHING. So sad. Here are some pictures of the condemned:

Sentenced to death

I would like to honor their memory by a series of letter:

Dear Fig Jam #1,
I'm so sorry things didn't work out between us. You see, I couldn't resist the calling of free figs, and thought that we could have a great partnership. I cooked you too long and you became a thick paste. I just didn't know what to do with you. I'm sorry. RIP.
Sincerely,
miukat
Dear Fig Jam *2,
Once again, I couldn't resist the dark, plump Italian fruit from my aunt's backyard. I thought things would be better this time around. I was wrong. Unfortunately, whereas your predecessor was too firm and unyielding, you, by contrast, were soppy and limp. I didn't cook you long enough, no doubt trying to overcompensate from my last relationship. It turns out I'm not a fig conserve kinda gal. I promise to resist the urge when it hits next summer....
Sincerely,
miukat
Dear Spiced Plum Sauce,
I really liked you. You were rich and flavorful, but in no time flat, were stiff and crystallized. Still, we worked through the hard times, and I used up as much as I could on sauteed pork medallions. My husband just doesn't approve of your fruity spice, and it's all I could do to m(eat) you in secret. Next time, I will restrict myself to sauces of the tomato family.
Sincerely,
miukat
Dear Peach Orange Blossom Jam,
From the beginning, we fought to stay together. From the tiny, hard fruits bore from our urban peach tree, we were not destined to succeed as a couple. I don't know why your lovingly diced flesh shriveled up in the jar, but it wasn't pretty. This is too hard. sniff.

Sincerely,
miukat
Dear Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme Jelly,
I thought we had something, and we did for a while. Then things started to change, I got busy, you started to withdraw to the back of the cabinet, and we just stopped seeing each other. What happened? You were great with meat. I just wish we had more time together.
Sincerely,
miukat

Wow. I feel emotionally drained. All my hopes and dreams gone down the sink. Here is the canning graveyard:
Canning graveyard

I hope this doesn't happen again. It was really sad and wasteful. To 2012 and 365 days of pickles!!! Huzzah!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

365 Days of Pickles Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino